1. Material used shall be based on the N.D.C.A. syllabus and/or any approved syllabi of member organizations of the N.D.C.A. All closed events will be invigilated as per the N.D.C.A. rule book.
2A. Pro/Am Age Divisions:
Single Dance Events: Pre-teen (up to 7), Junior 1 (8-11), Junior 2 (12-14), Junior 3 (15-18)
A1 (19-25), A2 (26-35), B1 (36-45), B2 (46-55), C1 (56-65), C2 (66-75), D (76 +) In Single Dance Events, competitors may enter up to two age divisions as listed above. Students may dance in any age category younger, but not older than their own age (excluding Jrs.)
Multi Dance Events: Pre-teen (up to 7), Junior 1 (8-11), Junior 2 (12-14), Junior 3 (15-18), A (19-35), B (36-55), C (56+)
WCO Championship Events: A (16-35), B (36-50), C (51+) **These events are World Pro/Am DanceSport Series qualifying events. See dancesportseries.com for official rules.
Scholarship Events: A (19-45), B (46+)
Junior Open Scholarship: Star 1 (up to 12), Star 2 (13-18)
2B. Amateur & Student/Student Age Divisions:
Single Dance Events: Pre-teen (up to 7), Junior 1 (8-11), Junior 2 (12-14), Junior 3 (15-18) Adult (19-34), Senior I (35-44), Senior II (45-54), Senior III (55+), In Single Dance Events, competitors may enter up to two age divisions as listed above. Students may dance in any age category younger, but not older than their own age (excluding Jrs.)
Novice & Pre-Championships: Adult(19-34), Senior I (35-44), Senior II (45+)
WCO Championship Events: Open(All ages), Senior I (35-44), Senior II (45+)
Junior Closed & Open Championships: Pre-teen (up to 7), Junior 1 (8-11), Junior 2 (12-14), Junior 3 (15-18)
Junior Open Scholarship: Star 1 (up to 12), Star 2 (13-18)
3. Dance Level Categories: See entry forms for available dance levels. You may dance up to two full levels in the single dance events. The levels must be in consecutive order - you may not skip a level. Example: All of the Bronze and All of the Silver levels. Newcomer level single dance events are open to students who have never competed in any type of a ballroom competition. A student may not enter this category more than once.
4. MultiDance Events: See Event Offerings sheet for complete listing of MultiDance events. In all MultiDance, Championship, and Scholarship events, genders are judged together.
Closed Newcomer Scholarships and Closed Newcomer Championships are intended solely for students who have never participated in a dance competition before and therefore this is their first competition experience. Students are restricted to dancing only Newcomer events.
Closed Scholarships and Closed Championships are restricted to Newcomer, Bronze, Silver & Gold Students Only. Students may dance in only one Closed Scholarship per style and they must dance the corresponding single dance events for that style. It must be in the highest level in which they entered, Example: If the student enters the single dance events in Levels Full Bronze and Pre-Silver, the student must enter the Silver Closed Scholarship Only. Students may dance in a maximum of two consecutive Championships.
Scholarship Qualifications: In order to compete in any Pro/Am Scholarship event, you must enter the single dance events for that same style and that same level. The only exception is the Pro/Am Show Dance event - To compete in the Pro/Am Show Dance, it is not required to enter any other events. A student may only enter one age division per style i.e. a student must choose either A or B scholarship. Student may NOT enter both the Closed & Open Scholarships. Pro/Am Junior and Amateur Junior couples may enter in only one Open Scholarship age division, either Star 1 or Star 2.
5. No continuity style in Bronze.
6. TOP STUDENT AWARDS: Top male and female student competitors will be presented. To be eligible for top student awards, a student must enter a minimum of 8 single dances in that level. Top student award will be based on the SAME SCALE as the Top Teacher.
7. TOP STUDIO AWARDS: To qualify a studio will be awarded one point for each entry for Pro/Am, Student/Student, and Amateur couples.
8. Dress Code: For Adults, costumes are permitted at any adult level, but not required in the newcomer level. Pre-teen and Juniors costume styles must comply with NDCA rules. Please see NDCA.org for details. Current NDCA dress code regulations apply to all levels and will be enforced.
9. In any event with fewer than three entries, the organizer reserves the right to reduce by half, the advertised prize monies, merge events or cancel the event entirely.
10. Formations Teams: The maximum time is limited to three (3) minutes for a single dance and four (4) minutes for a medley. Timing of routine shall begin and end with the accompaniment and must include entrance and exit from the floor. Music will be faded out if time limit is exceeded. Teams must consist of at least four (4) couples or six (6) individuals. Teams must provide their music on an individual CD per entry.
11. Lifts are permitted in Solo Exhibition, Theatre Arts, and Show Dance categories only.
12. Solo Exhibitions: No solo is to exceed three (3) minutes. Music will be faded out after (3) minutes. Music must be provided on an individual CD per entry. Interpretation of the music and lifts are not restricted. Props are not permitted. An exhibition event with two teachers dancing with one student must be entered as one entry. Competitors may enter a maximum of two solo exhibition entries. If an amateur competitor dances as part of a Student/Student couple, and as part of a Pro/Am couple as well, they may enter a maximum of two solo exhibitions per couple.
13. Pro/Am Show Dance Scholarship Event: Pro/Am couples will be judged performing a solo routine of their own choice, not to exceed three (3) minutes. The routine must include elements of one or more of the following recognized NDCA approved dance styles: Standard, Latin, Rhythm, or Smooth. The routine may also include elements of other dances to enhance the choreography. Lifts are permitted. Props are not permitted. Timing of the routine shall begin and end with the accompaniment and must include entrance and exit from the floor. Music will be faded out if time limit is exceeded. Couples must provide the music of their choice on an individual CD per entry.
14. Amateur Theatre Arts – Cabaret Challenge: Amateur couples will be judged performing a solo routine of their own choice, not to exceed three (3) minutes. Interpretation of the music and lifts are not restricted. Props are not permitted. Timing of the routine shall begin and end with the accompaniment and must include entrance and exit from the floor. Music will be faded out if time limit is exceeded. Couples must provide the music of their choice on an individual CD per entry.
15. Professional Show Dance Championship:
Professional Couples will be judged performing a solo routine of their own choice, not to exceed four (4) minutes. The routine must include elements of one or more of the recognized NDCA approved dance styles (i.e. Standard, Latin, Rhythm, or Smooth) and may include elements of other dances to enhance the choreography. Lifts are permitted. Props are not permitted. Timing of the routine shall begin and end with the accompaniment and must include entrance and exit from the floor. Music will be faded out if time limit is exceeded. Couples must provide the music of their choice on an individual CD per entry.
16. Cancellation/Refund Policy: All cancellation requests must be made in writing to the organizers. Cancellations made up to 14 days prior to the event will receive a refund within 30 days after the event. No refunds will be given within 14 days of the event. No substitutions of entries will be allowed. Absolutely no refunds will be given at the event. There are no refunds or exchanges on general admission tickets. All cancellations are subject to a $50 processing fee.
17. If paying by Cashier Check, Studio Check, or Money order, please include a contact phone number on the check. Personal checks will not be accepted, and Studio or Business checks will not be accepted after the entry deadline. We accept all major credit cards: MC, Visa, Amex, Discover. A 4% administrative fee will be charged on all credit card payments made after August 15th, and on all credit card payments made at the event. Prior to August 15th, no additional fee will be assessed for using a credit card. Secure credit card payment is available on-line or by speaking with us directly. Please, for your security, do not send credit card or personal information via fax or email.
Mailing address for Entries & Payments: 6225 West Newport Avenue, Chicago, IL 60634
18. (A) In consideration for participation in The Windy City Open in any manner, all attending persons hereby release the Organizers, the N.D.C.A, their officers, employees, volunteers, agents, and any other people connected with this event, from any and all liability for damage to or loss of personal property, sickness or injury from whatever source, legal entanglements, imprisonment, death, or loss of money, which might occur while participating in this event. All attendees will be aware of the risks of participation, and understand that they participate at their own risk.
18. (B) Neither the WCO Organizers or the N.D.C.A. will accept responsibility for the loss or theft of articles left in the changing rooms, the ballroom, any practice space or any hotel rooms and neither can they be held liable for injury sustained by persons attending this event. Everyone attending does so at his or her own risk.
19. Everyone attending this event, whether as spectators or as Officials or as Competitors or guests of the Organizer, shall be bound by N.D.C.A. rules, and by participating in the Windy City Open Dance Competition all parties automatically become obligated to adhere to them.
20. All professional and amateur couples (including all pre-teen and junior couples) competing in any capacity must be currently registered with the N.D.C.A. and supply the organizers with an official registration number on our entry forms. Pro/Am students are not required to be registered with a member organization.
N.D.C.A. Registration Forms are available from:
Ms. Eleanor Wiblin
P.O. Box 22018
Provo, Utah 84602
(801) 378-8381 or Register on-line at NDCA.org
21. Private videotaping of ALL Windy City Open events is strictly prohibited. An authorized videographer will be available to record dance heats. Arrangements can be made to purchases videos of your dancing.
22. Smoking is strictly prohibited in the ballroom and all smoking regulations in accordance with Hotel premises apply.
While on the competition premises, competitors shall conduct themselves in a civil, sportsmanlike manner at all times.
It is the competitors’ responsibility to be in the ballroom 30 minutes prior to the posted scheduled time for their events and check in at the on deck area prior to their heats. Any couple who fails to appear at the scheduled time for any event may be disqualified from that event. Every attempt will be made to stay on time with publicized schedule. Changes in schedule during the competition will be announced.
Competitors entering the Windy City Open event shall accept as final the individual markings of the Judges and no appeal against them may be made, except when it can be shown that the actual markings have been incorrectly calculated.
No competitor shall harass or question a judge about his/her personal reasons for marking.
Any competitor who removes any of the master scrutineer sheets without the permission of the Organizer shall render himself liable to disciplinary action. Results will be provided to competitors.
The Organizer of the Windy City Open reserves the right to reject the application of any competitor who has violated any of the above rules of conduct in any recognized N.D.C.A. event.
All rules and regulations of the Windy City Open can be amended at the discretion of the organizers. Ample notice will be provided via the web site for any and all changes.